Top tips for a stress-free house move
by Iain Mason
Published on 10th January 2023
Few things in life are as stressful as moving house. In fact, many believe it comes second only to a relationship breakup or a bereavement. So, it makes sense to put as many actions in place as possible to ensure the move goes as smoothly as it can, to reduce the stress and pressure.
Here are the Optimum Conveyancing Team’s top tips for a stress-free move:
- Engage your conveyancing lawyer early on in your house-hunting process. Many people leave this until the last minute, but the conveyancing process is complicated and the sooner you have instructed a lawyer the better.
- Start planning early. House sales can take several weeks to complete, but there is still plenty to do, so start getting organised. Go through your house and begin decluttering, by passing on, recycling, or binning anything you don’t want to take with you. If you are downsizing, you most certainly need to shed some of your belongings.
- On exchange of contracts, please then contact your utility companies to tell them what date you are moving, and remember to take final meter readings on your moving day.
- Make a list of organisations and people you need to contact, and work through them methodically once contracts have been exchanged. For example, you will want to arrange to re-direct your post to your new address, and you will also need to change your address with relevant organisations, as well as let your friends and family know.
- Contact a removal company. They can get booked up well in advance, so do not assume you will be able to get one at the last minute, to suit your moving date. It might be an idea to seek recommendations for a removal firm, as some are better than others, and you will not want to entrust your entire belongings to anyone who is not reliable and professional.
- If you are currently renting a property, please make sure that you give sufficient notice to your landlord. Failure to do so, and you could end up paying rent and a mortgage at the same time!
If you would like help with buying or selling a property, and need the advice of specialist conveyancers, please get in touch with Optimum Professional Services. We help people moving home with their conveyancing, in Swindon, Wiltshire, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire and the surrounding area.